I recently saw a slideshow from NPower here in Washington State. That slideshow aimed to help non-profits approach their content and avoid some of the common pitfalls. They boil it down to these:
- Publish useful and unique content. Design your website and articles for your visitors, not for search engines
- Create unique. Accurate page titles
- The same goes for the initial header – it is a very important piece of content
- The initial summary paragraph should be contain relevant keywords and unique and interesting content – e.g. explain why visitors would want to continue reading
- Always try to use alt text and appropriate filename with any images you publish.
The full slideshow is just a few minutes and worth a look. it can be found here: http://www.npowernw.org/knowledge-center/search-engine-optimization-seo